Build 0030 is now live on the play page! Here's what's new:
There's a new Guided Shot modifier, for mid-air projectile control. I was experimenting with making some "lock rooms" that require these, but they ended up being really fiddly to activate:
Experienced players would no doubt figure it out but new ones would probably give it the middle finger.
3 other items
I added some new one-time-use items, which I won't spoil but veterans can probably venture some guesses on:
I made a bunch of balancing tweaks:
- Nerfed the blue circular guys ('fast lost souls') from 6 health to 4.5 (1 health = 1 vanilla blaster hit). It's nice that they're challenging but the difficulty jump felt too steep.
- Adjusted many rooms for less possibility of "cheapness" - hard enemies clustered next to entrances, etc.:
- Reduced missile odds by 30% from sector 3 onward. They seem to accumulate too much late-game.
- Buffed flamethrower damage (0.6 -> 0.8) to make it better for non-flammable enemies.
- Buffed Spark Generator to same range as the Blaster (8 tiles), and reduced damage slightly (1.4 -> 1.3). Hopefully less of a letdown finding this weapon. I might eventually change this to an "electric modifier" like Novacat was thinking.
- Slight higher odds of weapons / items in canisters rather than hidden in walls, which should make new players' lives a little easier (less chance of missing them and ending up underpowered later).
- Projectile size increases more visually when damage mods are added.
- Gut tile tweak, no more isolated "L" pieces
- I considered making the "dropper" enemies trigger when another enemy passes under. Derek Yu (Spelunky's creator) shared a nice article on the design philosophy of the Dark Souls team, and I was thinking this could lead to some "magical moments". Unfortunately if you lure an enemy under there it'll always trigger on you first, so not a big strategic help. It'd also mess up the mechanics of most of the rooms that feature those droppers. So, tabled for now.
- Teleport-onto-spikes is fixed.
- The compass now only reveals the next 5 undiscovered room / secret icons instead of all of them. I also removed compass / map from the 2nd quest onward like Novacat suggested.
- Item rooms behind missile doors weren't getting the item-specific layouts. Fixed that.
I've got some work obligations the next 1-2 weeks so time will be a little tight (I do freelance web development part-time) but I hope to get some time for game work, and at the very least a blog post. Stay tuned, and let me know if you find anything weird!