Didn't have much time for game work the last couple weeks unfortunately, but I thought I'd share, for your amusement and horror, some playable archived versions of the game which were up on the server:
- 0001: Jan 2016. First web build for private playtesters, about a year into development. Confusing weapon system, floaty controls, badly written story that everybody skipped, programmer art, Atari-esque sounds - fun, fun! Still, the rudiments of the game were taking shape. At the time I was deliberately ignoring production value and focusing on gameplay improvements.
- 0002, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0007, 0008
- 0009: Apr 2016. Lots of usability iterations under the belt to help baffled playtesters. "Green" area added, with jump springs and tech cube enemies. Also, secret rooms, and tighter controls.
- 0011: Jun 2016. Music, basic background art (with help from my Dad), and some major weapon screen dymystification.
- 0012, 0013, 0014, 0015
- 0016: Nov 2016. Back to the game after a 3-month freelance project. New sounds, music tracks, and art assets.
- 0017, 0018, 0019, 0020, 0021
- 0022: Feb 2017. Major graphics update. Fog, light bloom, and procedurally placed point lights with randomized coloration. Also death screen and a "tile snippets" system for hidden items etc.
- 0023, 0024
- 0025: Mar 2017. UI and HUD refinement, title screen, teleporters, electric visual effects.
- 0026, 0027
- 0028: Jun 2017. Story orbs, procedural thematic tile placement, control remapping.
- 0030: Aug 2017. Current version as of this writing.
My reaction to playing these is generally "good lord, I'm glad I fixed that." It's nice to see progress; game development can be dauntingly labor intensive, especially as a solo developer, and I'm almost never making progress as quickly as I want to. So it's nice to look back down the mountain once in a while.