The new Infinitroid site is born! The baby is in stable condition, though the birth was a little messy. There's now a blog, a forum, a better gameplay page, and a bunch of other odds and ends that should make it easier to find out what's new, and to help shape the future direction of the game.
The blog is the central place for dev progress; I'll try to post at least every two weeks, whether it's a new game version or sharing some behind the scenes stuff. You can subscribe via email; I might also set up a feed in Twitter, Facebook and Reddit for people that prefer those (if that seems helpful let me know).
Big thanks to players & testers who have provided feedback already, including dogman, fordiman, JC, Quicksand-S, buto, Enrik, kkairos and others. If you're interested in reading about past updates check out TigSource and reddit.
It's still a little lonely in there but if you have any feature requests, bug reports, or random discussion topics, feel free to post them in the forum. I'm happy to answer any questions about the game.
The game page got a bit of a facelift - it's integrated into the site now, with a loading bar in place of those mysterious byte counts. It handles different screen sizes better, so you can play it on your phone as long as you're OK having no way to control it.
A messy birth
I took a break from the game proper and started building this new site over a month ago; I looked into a few blogging and forum packages but they all seemed overcomplicated and difficult to integrate, so I figured I'd spend a week or so and build my own minimal one in Flask. A blog is just chunks of text in a database, how hard could it be?
Well, famous last words. It's not rocket science but there was a lot to sort out: hierarchical commenting, anonymous users, forgotten-password system, email subscriptions, unsubscribe URLs, visual design, responsive layouts, etc. I got pretty burned out a couple weeks in, thinking I should be done already and back on the game. I finally resorted to some of my long-forgotten project management practices, like detailed estimates and schedule tracking, which gave me a finish date and eased some of the pressure.
Anyway I'm pretty happy with the result. Instead of a bunch of set-top boxes with 4 different remote controls (tumblr, phpbb, disqus, etc.) it's a simple integrated device with parts that I can use on future projects. I don't have to wrestle giant software packages with 200 extraneous features, and the site can evolve to support the game. But I do question sometimes whether my case of NIH syndrome is beneficial or malignant.
Back to the game
So, work resumes on the game proper! The gameplay needs some rebalancing after the last few updates, I think. I've got some new weapon / item ideas I'm excited about, as well as ideas for enemies and bosses in the later worlds. Also some challenges and meta-game elements to make the game more interesting across playthrus.